Earlier this year I shared my love of podcasts and the long list of those I’m subscribed to. You can see my list here. Months later, podcasts are still my go-to enjoyment while organizing solo on projects, doing chores around the house or on long drives.
The best methods I’ve discovered for finding new podcasts are either asking friends or hearing about them from the podcasters you listen to. I’ve discovered many new podcasts from listening to interviews of the podcaster…on another podcast. It’s a crazy World.
These are my current faves to consider if you’re looking to add to your ever-growing list….or if you’ve never listened to a podcast, but are looking for a new, positive addiction this new year. My list is a mix of business and fun, so I hope you find something to enjoy. Personally, I have been geeking out to some pretty business-heavy, nerdy ones. I say that in the kindest, most complimentary way.
Online Marketing Made Easy with Amy Porterfield
- Podcast Description: Online entrepreneur Amy Porterfield shows you exactly how to monetize your online marketing and blogging efforts using her own tested, ACTIONABLE lead generation strategies — so you can successfully launch and promote a new program, grow your email list, get more leads, build your authority, turn your customers into raving advocates OR simply find the time (and mindset!) to rock your social media and content marketing.
- Why I Love It: This is a recent new podcast find, although I’ve been a fan of Amy for a while. If you’re in the online creative World, like me, her interviews and topics are fantastic. She’s spot on and in touch with what’s trending. I’m not a hardcore social media strategist, I’d like to think I’m the opposite. I am very much a person who posts on social media in the moment, when there’s something of value to share or had a great client project image to showcase. But her podcasts have given me great insight into this World I’m a part of.
Legal Road Map with Autumn Witt Boyd
- Podcast Description: Host Autumn Witt Boyd, a lawyer for creative and online businesses, gives you the answers to your copyright, trademark, and business legal questions. Like having an attorney in your back pocket. Whether you’re just starting out and haven’t done any legal work on your business, or are going through a transition or growth spurt and want to make sure you’re covered, the Legal Roadmap™ podcast is a great tool to make sure you haven’t missed any key legal protections for your business.
- Why I Love It: I discovered Autumn while listening to Being Boss (see below) and fell hard for her during the interview. She shared SOOOOOO much detail, was incredibly giving with legal advice, and the podcast came to my ears during a particularly bad week. This year I discovered someone stealing / copying my content and also another professional organizer basically copying everything I’ve been doing on Instagram. Seriously, I wish I could share the images / screenshots here because it hurts me deeply and have moments where I want to cry or find a supportive shoulder, but I’m trying to keep my head up and chalk it up to people being inspired by my work. I contacted her immediately when I found out she works with creatives. We are a special bunch of people and my own local CPA / Lawyer doesn’t get what I’m doing half the time. Ha! Anyway, she only recently started this podcast and it’s incredible. So incredible in fact that I hired her to help me get my legal ducks in a row in my own business. 🙂
The Femtrepreneur Show with Mariah Coz and Megan Minns
- Podcast Description: The Femtrepreneur Show will give you only the most actionable, practical, no-bs strategies and tools to make your online course business a reality – profitable, leveraged, and 100% on your terms. This dynamic team pull out the most effective strategies and systems for online course creators and sellers, whether you’re starting from scratch or starting to ramp up and scale.
- Why I Love It: Now, you’re correct, I don’t have a course. However, I do have plans to launch something in 2017. The business info they have shared about running an online business has been beyond valuable! And these girls are just adorable to listen to! The financial side of my business has been tough for me to work through. I’m just not a finance girl…I’d rather do the work. But owning a business means I *have to* know how to run it and manage my income / expenses. One of my favorite podcasts is #16, How To Create Good Financial Habits with Parker Stevenson. I’ve listened to it about 5 times.
Young House Love Has A Podcast with John and Sherry Petersik
- Podcast Description: Tune in for weekly episodes filled with casual decorating advice, DIY stories, and a smattering of home related games, along with what’s new around the house and interviews with designers, bloggers, TV personalities, and more.
- Why I Love It: What is not to love about these two?? I’ve been reading the YHL blog for years. They are an inspiration to me as DIY’ers and bloggers. Their podcasts are uplifting, lighthearted and fun! Since I’m a blogger and love to learn about my online niche, one of my favorite podcasts is #8, Three Pro Bloggers Get Real About Sponsored Posts. I recently blogged about why I’m not doing sponsored posts anymore, but it was great to hear the perspective and experiences from fellow professional bloggers.
Simple Pin Podcast with Kate Ahl
- Podcast Description: In The Simple Pin Podcast, Kate Ahl interviews people who are using Pinterest in creative ways to drive traffic to their website and increase revenue. She’s on a mission to rid the world of Pinterest myths, crazy hacks to ‘game’ the system and rabbit trails that waste valuable business-building time. She wants to give her audience solid Pinterest Marketing advice using data-driven results. Keep it simple, be authentic, and pin with purpose.
- Why I Love It: For bloggers, Pinterest is an important tool. But it’s changing constantly. I think this year alone they have changed the format 3+ times. When you need the nitty gritty on a topic and don’t have the free time to figure it out on your own, you locate the expert. Kate is your Pinterest guru. Her interviews dig in to all things Pinterest, including monetization (which I don’t do) and time management (I do need more of that – I get lost on Pinterest. But don’t we all?!).
Profit. Power. Pursuit. With Tara Gentile
- Podcast Description: The PROFIT. POWER. PURSUIT. podcast explores what it means to build a business and life on your creative drive. It focuses on both the strategic and the tactical components of how creative people make money, take control of their businesses, and pursue what’s most important to them so that you can too.
- Why I Love It: So, after reading that description, it should be clear why I love this podcast as much as I do. Running a business is hard work. You need a tribe of experts to learn from. Can’t say enough good things about Tara! One of my favorite pods is #46, Standing Out In A Crowded Industry.
Smartest Person In The Room with Laura Tremaine
- Podcast Description: With the casual tone of the best dinner party conversation you’ve ever had, Smartest Person in the Room offers fascinating, funny, and thought-provoking learning you won’t want to miss!
- Why I Love It: Laura is a co-host on Sorta Awesome, a podcast I shared in my previous podcast blog post. She now has a podcast of her own, which is produced and edited by Megan…who is the main host on Sorta Awesome. Did I lose you? This is how the podcast World works, I tell you. I love these women! Laura started this series-based podcast with an incredible series about Hollywood. She is now doing a fascinating series about religion. Really good stuff here guys!
- Podcast Description: In the most comprehensive reporting on this case, APM Reports and reporter Madeleine Baran reveal how law enforcement mishandled one of the most notorious child abductions in the country and how those failures fueled national anxiety about stranger danger, led to the nation’s sex-offender registries and raise questions about crime-solving effectiveness and accountability.
- Why I Love It: As the title suggests, there is some darkness here while listening to this podcast. But it totally sucked me in. I absolutely LOVE good reporting and that is what drew me to this one. It’s an important, touching and sad story – but I’m a better person for having listened to the entire series.
Terrible, Thanks For Asking with APM Reports
- Podcast Description: Hosted by author and notable widow Nora McInerny Purmort, this is a funny/sad/uncomfortable podcast about talking honestly about our pain, our awkwardness, and our humanness, which is not an actual word.
- Why I Love It: Oh my gosh, not even sure I can sum up exactly how much I love this new podcast or why. This is real life. And I strive for realness in everything I do. Not only do I love real, I love to listen to and help people. I’m a very compassionate, adaptable person and have always been able to meet people where they are. In my life I’ve learned more times than I can count that you never know the battle someone may be struggling with. This podcast will open your eyes to struggles people are living with and why we should be more compassionate as a society.
- Podcast Description: Candid, unscripted conversations that go beyond the soundbites to reveal how we got here and what’s really going on. Unexpected. Unconventional. Un-buttoned up.
- Why I Love It: Because it’s bubbly, hard-hitting, question-asking Katie Couric. Enough said. 😉
Girlboss Radio with Sophia Amoruso
- Podcast Description: Nasty Gal founder Sophia Amoruso interviews world-class girlbosses who have made their mark in creative, cultural, and business ventures to extract solid advice from the lessons they’ve learned along the way. Expect hilarious co-hosts and conversations you won’t hear anywhere else. On this podcast Sophia hopes to humanize the known, champion the unknown, and, well, laugh a little about the absurdity that is life. Are you ready?
- Why I Love It: I love her interviews and her wide range of guests. The stories of growth are inspirational to this small business owner. It was a big surprise to hear the interview with my cutie Alli Webb of Dry Bar. You guys may remember when I organized her master closet this summer. Still pinching myself to have this boss in my corner!
Being Boss with Emily Thompson and Kathleen Shannon
- Podcast Description: Emily Thompson and Kathleen Shannon believe in building a business you love, making bank, and being unapologetically who you are 100% of the time. They focus on “boss” mindsets, habits & routines, tools, tactics & strategies, blended with a little bit of hustle.
- Why I Love It: More like…why I’m obsessed with this podcast. Ahhhhh, love love love their interviews. I feel like I’m kindred spirits with these girls as I not only have a blog / online creative presence, but also a small business. It’s a tough mix to manage and these girls have the most incredible guests that seem to appear out of thin air during a time when I need them most. It’s like magic. Remember above when I mentioned discovering Autumn during their podcast? They are just a joy to listen to and learn from!
The Lady Gang with Keltie Knight, Jac Vanek, and Becca Tobin
- Podcast Description: “LadyGang” is a celebrity driven podcast from the minds and mouths of Keltie Knight, Jac Vanek, and Becca Tobin where no subject is off limits. Inspired by their bottomless mimosa brunches, each week, a celebrity guest joins the girls for a raw, honest, and hilarious look at what life is really like under the bright lights of Hollywood.
- Why I Love It: These 3 are so funny, down to earth and real. This is the highlight, fun podcast of my week and they make me feel like I’m hanging with 3 of my best friends.
I hope my list includes podcasts you’ve never heard about so that you have something new to binge listen to! Especially if you’re listening from your new shiny electronics you received as a gift this season.
Enjoy everyone! And be sure to comment, sharing the podcasts you’re listening to as well!
I mostly listen to True Crime podcasts. “In the Dark” was a great series and eye opening. I listen to “Crimewriters On”
“…These Are their Stories” (if you are a fan of any of the Law & Order shows, this is a great podcast!)
“This American Life”
“The Way I heard it” (Mike Rowe narrates it)
“Pod Save America”
“Someone Knows Something”
Those are what are on my Podcast Addict app (I have an Android phone) currently.